Officials of coastal barangays in Bato, as well as their constituents, now have a mouthwatering incentive to intercept people from the mainland who enter the town through its coastline in violation of the community quarantine.
Last week, Mayor Juan T. Rodulfo issued Executive Order No. 19 prohibiting persons from entering the municipality by sea through its coastline to circumvent the pertinent provisions of Republic Act No. 11469, or the Bayanihan To Heal As One Act, and other executive issuances against the spread of the coronavirus in the country, particularly on placing such persons on quarantine whenever they cross provincial and/or municipal boundaries.
Citing the need to stem the spread of COVID-19 in the town to protect the health, welfare, and lives of its constituents, the chief executive said appropriate penalties and sanctions will be imposed on the violators under said law and other issuances.
He identified Punong Barangays, barangay officials and residents of the coastal villages as the ones primarily responsible for the implementation and enforcement of the order, as force multipliers to the Philippine National Police (PNP), the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) personnel.
For every person “uncovered” to have clandestinely entered their barangays by sea for the intention of avoiding quarantine protocols, the concerned official or constituent will be entitled to a cash incentive of P30,000.00.
Mayor Rodulfo will shoulder P20,000.00 of the incentive while Vice Mayor Roy Regalado will contribute another P10,000.00. Both officials have agreed to grant the incentive from their personal funds.
According to Mayor Rodulfo, the April 27, 2020 executive order on the cash incentive system will remain in force until the national government lifts the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECG) over Luzon.