Azanza: “Zero tolerance for corruption, illegal activities”

A DELUGE OF JOB APPLICANTS have gone to the office of Gov. Patrick Alain T. Azanza since he took office July 1, 2025, with at least 500 of them nurses reportedly interested in landing job order positions at EBMC and district hospitals where most JO workers were ordered terminated last week. Photo c/o Gov. Azanza

Saying that he has zero tolerance for corruption and illegal activities, Governor Azanza last week issued marching orders to the Catanduanes police to eliminate all forms of illegal activities in the island.

In a press conference at Camp Francisco Camacho together with newly designated PNP provincial director PCol. Elmer R. Cereno, the chief executive promised full support to the law enforcers and asked them to arrest anyone who will use his name in such illegal activities.

“I have no business or personal interest to protect,” he said as he vowed to protect the police organization from the cycle of corruption in government.

In response, PD Cereno announced that he has ordered all police station chiefs and unit commanders to implement the Simultaneous Anti-Criminality Law Enforcement Operations (SACLEO) this week in all 11 towns of the province, particularly against illegal drugs, illegal gambling, illegal fishing, illegal mining, illegal logging, theft and other crimes.

Gov. Azanza also asked the police to identify the protectors of such activities and to determine the extent of every illegal operation and recommend a realistic timetable for accomplishing the task based on available police resources, with results expected within the year.

On the operation of “bote-bote” gasoline stores, he bared that the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) will submit a report this Tuesday on the matter, adding that there is no reason for the roadside stores to operate in view of the cheaper fuel prices at legitimate gas stations.

Azanza later alleged that the fuel being sold by “bote-bote” operators are smuggled and causes damage to vehicle engines.

The police will determine the source of the smuggled fuel and charge those who are involved, he said.

On the other hand, he warned operators of illegal numbers games such as “lotteng” that the police will arrest those who will use his name to evade the law.

“Everyone, including the public, knows who are the real operators and protectors of the numbers game,” the governor stated.

“Doing things right has its difficulties. I am putting my life on the line,” he stressed, pointing out that this was the reason he went to the DILG Secretary and the PNP chief to give him a provincial police director who will have his trust and confidence.

He likewise called on the Catanduanes police to undertake a new probe on the unsolved killings in the past decade, including that of Larry Que, Jesus Albaniel, Carmel Eubra and the Besa brothers, as well as the alleged kidnapping of a former barangay captain of Hicming, Virac in the run-up to the May 12, 2025 national and local elections.

The police’s claim that the latter incident was not a suspected election-related incident was laughable, Azanza declared, as the victim was his political leader during the campaign and even helped him go around the barangay a few days before the incident happened.

On the suspension of quarry operations, the governor said the move was done to protect the environment as he had received reports that prior to the June 30 turnover, extraction and hauling of aggregates were done non-stop at quarry sites beyond the permittees’ allowable volumes allegedly with the protection of someone powerful.

“I understand the situation of the quarry workers,” he said, but argued that removing corruption in the permitting process will benefit quarry permittees and constituents building their own homes through lower prices of sand, gravel and hollow blocks.

Gov. Azanza also explained the issue of job order workers who were terminated after June 15 pursuant to an agreement during the transition team meeting on June 9.

He accused the former administration of violating the agreement by allowing some JO workers to work until June 30.

“You should have known that upon the assumption of a new administration, you will be replaced,” he said,

However, he stated, these JOs will be paid for their June 15-30 work for humanitarian reasons.

Those assigned at the Eastern Bicol Medical Center and district hospitals were allowed to extend their contracts until July 15 while the screening of new JO applicants is being conducted.

Those who were retained included some JO personnel at the General Services Office, farms operated by the Capitol, and at EBMC where 35 trained nurses were recommended for retention out of 70 currently deployed at the hospital

“We will retain those who need to be retained, especially those who are not the subject of complaints from patients,” the governor added.

The administration will also investigate the issue of over 1,400 job order workers hired by the previous leadership and trace where they actually reported and served.

“I am not afraid of attacks on social media as these are made by trolls,” he said, maintaining that he will proceed with the investigation despite advice to the contrary, as millions of government funds need to be accounted for.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Discover more from Catanduanes Tribune

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading