A total of P495,096,213 in funding would be needed to either repair or replace 359 school buildings destroyed or damaged by super typhoon “Pepito,” the Department of Education (DepEd) Catanduanes Schools Division Office said last week.
A report submitted by Assistant Schools Division Superintendent Cecile C. Ferro, the division officer-in-charge, stated that the cyclone totally damaged 135 classrooms in 63 schools across the 11 towns.
Most of these destroyed classrooms are in Caramoran (15 schools), Pandan (13 schools), Viga (13 schools) and Panganiban (7 schools) while the rest are in Bagamanoc (3), Baras (3), Bato (3), San Andres (2), San Miguel (2), and Gigmoto (1).
It likewise caused major damage to 380 classrooms in 107 schools and minor damage in 941 classrooms in 189 schools.
The classrooms with major damage are from Caramoran (21 schools), Pandan (16), Viga (14), Panganiban (11), Virac (10), Bato (9), San Andres (7), Bagamanoc (6), San Miguel (6), Baras (4), and Gigmoto (3).
OIC Ferro identified the schools which would need new construction of school buildings as Inalmasinan Elementary School in Caramoran (P20 million); Biong ES in Gigmoto (P3.5 million); and San Miguel ES in Panganiban (P30 million).
DepEd Undersecretary Trygve L. Olaivar visited the province on Nov. 20, just three days after the typhoon passed, to inspect damaged schools but managed only to reach Panganiban town due to limited time as he was also due on a similar inspection in typhoon-hit Isabela province in the north.
He reportedly assured division officials that the department would provide funding for the repair of the school infrastructure out of the Quick Reaction Fund (QRF).
Two days after Usec. Olaivar’s visit, the division office launched a donation drive, dubbed as “Ayuda Catanduanes,” for typhoon victims.
It appealed for urgently needed Learners’ and Teachers’ Kits such as school supplies and instructional materials; Health and Hygiene Kits such as medicines, toiletries and multivitamins; Food Items such as canned goods, instant noodles, rice, biscuits and other non-perishable items; Shelter Materials such as GI sheets, nails, plywood, cement, sackolin, GI wire, waterproof sheets and others; clothing and footwear; and kitchen utensils such as reusable plates, cups, spoon and fork sets.
“We encourage private entities to adopt our public schools to address their needs,” the donation drive stated.
Prospective donors are advised to contact Marife Brequillo, Senior Education Program Specialist (SEPS) for Social Mobilization and Networking for all donation concerns at 09394513915 or at marife.brequillo@deped.gov.ph.
Last week, the division office received a cargo of donations from the Schools Division Office (SDO) of Naga City gathered through the efforts of Schools Division Superintendent (SDS) Susan S. Collano, who was previously assigned to the island.
The “Naga Cares” assistance will be distributed to the hardest-hit students, ensuring their education continues despite the challenges brought by the typhoon.
DepEd SDO Catanduanes extended its sincerest gratitude to SDS Collano and the entire SDO Naga team for their kindness and generosity as well as to Vice Governor Peter Cua, Regina Shipping Lines, San Andres Mayor Leo Z. Mendoza and San Andres MDRRMO Head Jeremy Manlangit for facilitating the transport of goods from Tabaco to Virac.
In a related development, a typhoon damage report prepared by the DPWH regional office indicated that super typhoon “Pepito” totally damaged just one school building in Catanduanes and partially damaged five others, all of them in Viga town.
The report did not include the cyclone’s impact on school buildings in the other towns.
The report dated Nov. 20, 2024 said that a school building at San Jose (Oco) Elementary School, with replacement cost estimated at P20 million.
The other affected school buildings in the DPWH list were in San Jose (Oco) National High School (P20 million), Sta. Rosa ES (P20 million), Tambongon ES (P20 million), Buenavista ES (P10 million), and Viga Rural Development High School (P20 million).
It may be recalled that the Tribune tried to secure a copy of the damage report from DPWH Catanduanes District Engineering Office but was advised that no printed copy would be released upon instruction from higher officials, with only a short summary to be sent via text or Messenger.
