Catanduanes Tribune

Manila supplier sent P3.4-M Illegal drugs to Virac via bus

OUTGOING POLICE DIRECTOR PCol. Elmer R. Cereno (seated, 3rd from left) underscored the vital support given by the provincial government led by Gov. Patrick Alain T. Azanza (2nd from left) and municipal mayors including Virac’s Sinforoso Sarmiento Jr. (extreme left) during last week’s press conference on the large amount of shabu seized during an anti-illegal drug operation in Bigaa, Virac last May 11, 2026. Also in photo is Virac MPS chief PMaj. Kenneth Ding C. Gutierrez (extreme right).

A police source has indicated that the P3.4 million worth of illegal drugs seized from a Virac couple during an anti-illegal drug operation last week was sent by bus from a Manila supplier.

The source, who did not specify if the shabu was sent as a parcel or hand-carried by a courier, also said that intelligence personnel are focusing on at least one more big-time drug pusher in Catanduanes.

There are fears, however, among the anti-illegal drug team members that the press conference on the successful buy-bust mission may have spooked the targets and forced them to lie low for now.

A report obtained by the Tribune stated that two individuals were arrested during the operation conducted on May 11, 2026 by joint personnel of Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit as the lead unit, Catanduanes Police Intelligence Unit and the Virac Municipal Police Station headed by PCapt. Rhandy R. Rapesora and under the supervision of police chief PMaj. Kenneth Ding C. Gutierrez.

Apprehended at a rented house at Phase 3, West Garden Subdivision in barangay Bigaa was Jerwin Robles Cruz, also known as “Boss,” 44, a native of Las Piñas, Metro Manila, working as a tricycle driver while engaged in the buy-and-sell of game fowl.

Also placed under custody was his live-in-partner, Janet Palero Prolles, 43, a native of Datag, Caramoran.

Both were described by the police as High-Value Individuals (HVIs).

Armed with a search warrant issued by the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 43, the designated police searchers combed the residence for evidence in the presence of the suspects and the required witnesses.

This led to the recovery and confiscation of 91 pieces of heat-sealed transparent plastic sachets containing white crystalline substance believed to be methamphetamine hydrochloride.

The illegal drugs were found inside in plastic bottles of gamefowl vitamins and placed inside a pouch that was hidden near the motor of a refrigerator in the suspects’ living room.

The police also seized white notebook with written amounts of alleged transactions, along with the initials or aliases of supposed buyers, an empty pack of Chesterfield cigarettes, four pieces of white dextrose power canisters, a yellow notebook, three cigarette lighters, three pieces of rolled aluminum foil and a black Oppo smartphone.

The police estimate that the suspected illegal drugs weigh more or less 500 grams, with an estimated  street value of P3.4 million.

The evidence will remain in police custody pending the return of the search warrant and laboratory examination.

Criminal complaints for violation of Section 11, Article II of Republic Act 9165, otherwise known as the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, have been filed through inquest proceedings against the arrested suspect.

During a press conference at Camp Francisco Camacho on May 12, a day before his retirement, Catanduanes Police Provincial Director PCol. Elmer R. Cereno said that while he was satisfied by the success of the operation, he expressed sadness over the unfavorable image it would bring to the province.

He added that upon receiving the report, he immediately ordered all chiefs of police to identify all active drug personalities in their areas of jurisdiction.

In commending operatives for a job well done, the retiring police director underscored that the illegal drugs seizure stands as the single largest since July 2025 when he took over the post and the most substantial drug recovery since the discovery of the shabu lab in 2016.

“This milestone underscores our relentless commitment to dismantling large-scale drug operations and ensuring that Catanduanes remains a hostile environment for those who attempt to trade in illegal substances,” Cereno stated,

During his stint as the island’s top cop, the provincial police conducted 23 operations against dangerous drugs, resulting in the arrest of 25 persons and the confiscation of over P4 million in illicit substances.

On the other hand, PCapt. Gutierrez disclosed that the RPDEU immediately validated the report and placed the suspects under surveillance after receiving info about their illegal activities sometime in October 2025.

In a statement on the PNP Bicol headquarters’ social media page, PRO 5 Regional Director PBGen. Erosito N Miranda lauded the operating units for the successful operation and reaffirmed the unwavering commitment of PNP in eradicating illegal drugs and dismantling drug networks operating in the region.

“This successful operation sends a strong and clear message that PRO 5 remains relentless, aggressive, and unwavering in its campaign against illegal drugs. We will sustain intensified intelligence-driven operations and strengthen our coordination with other law enforcement agencies to ensure that drug personalities are brought to justice. There will be no let-up in our fight against illegal drugs because the safety of our communities and the future of our youth remain our top priorities.”

Miranda further emphasized that the accomplishment reflects the strengthened operational capability and intensified anti-criminality efforts of PRO 5 under the PNP’s Focused Agenda on Enhanced Managing Police Operations.

“We assure the public that PRO 5 will continue to pursue all individuals involved in the illegal drug trade, regardless of status or influence. Our operations will remain continuous, unrelenting, and intelligence-based as we work to protect every Bicolano community from the harmful effects of illegal drugs. We call on the public to continue supporting and cooperating with law enforcement authorities as we move closer toward a safer, drug-free, and more peaceful region.”

Authorities are now conducting further investigation to determine the source of the confiscated illegal drugs and identify other personalities possibly linked to the illegal drug operation.

The accomplishment highlights PRO 5’s strengthened commitment to the government’s peace and order campaign and its continuing mission under the banner of “Bagong PNP para sa Bagong Pilipinas: Serbisyong Mabilis, Tapat at Nararamdaman.”

Exit mobile version